Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Tasty Tuesday; Deep Fried Pickles


Born in the south, crunchy and salty sour, deep fried pickles are a treat for your taste buds. It's a known fact that everything tastes better fried. Fried ice cream, fried twinkies, fried green tomatoes... But none of these can compete with the unique, oily flavor of a deep fried pickle.

I decided to do deep fried pickles for Tasty Tuesday this week because they're my favorite food. I used to have to go to an expensive restaurant in Michigan to get them, but now that I have my own kitchen, I decided to give it a whirl. However, with my schedule and inadequacy in hot oil, Don actually cooked them.

He says that he thought that spears weren't the right choice because it made it harder to bread. He suggests pickle chips. However, I am the deep fried pickle connosieur, and I say that you can't stop eating if you have a plate full of pickle chips, and that spears are best for filling you up and dipping.

My tip is that you don't eat deep fried pickles immediately after you make them or eat them. Pickles, like tomatoes, hold a lot of heat in their juices. Don't be as eager as I have on many accounts and burn your mouth!!

Note: While the pickles I used were homemade, they were not the homemade pickles that broke in the box that my grandma sent.

Here's What You'll Need:
whole pickles, pickle spears, or pickle chips [dills work better than bread and butter. I've never had a bread and butter deep fried pickle]

Egg Wash:
1 egg
I cup milk

Cornmeal Deep Fried Pickle Coating Recipe
2 cups plain Cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon dried Oregano
1 teaspoon dried Parsley flakes
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper
Mix ingredients together and set aside.

OR

Flour Deep Fried Pickle Coating Recipe
3 cups Flour - this can be any type of flour including white, whole wheat or rice flour.
1 teaspoon Garlic salt or powder
1 teaspoon table seasoning
1/2 teaspoon Salt1 teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper

Here's What You Do:
after you've gotten the amount of pickles you want, shake off excess juices and blot them off with a paper towel. First, dip in the egg and milk mix. Next, roll in the dry coating. Don found that you shouldn't roll the pickle in the coating, you just pile some on it, and pull it out. Set them on a plate, and once all your pickles are battered, freeze them for 30 minutes. DO IT! I was in a rush and didn't want to, but was told that if you didn't, the batter would just fall off. Don't skip this step, even if it sounds useless.

Heat the oil to 375 degrees, drop the pickles in one by one until the float and take them out. Serve with ranch dressing, it's the best that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment