Thursday, January 14, 2010

Guest Blog; Kate Thoreson's Magically Versatile ModCloth Coat.

Yeah, I know a lot of you are saying "Ok ok, I get it Jenny, you're growing up, it's sad, blah blah blah". Well, I'm still in a bit of a funk, so I'm going to let Kate take the wheel today. Remember her post about mascara?

Kate is my go-to for fashion since I think that granny sweaters from thrift stores are hot shit and would wear them for ANY occasion. Often, her and I will cruise modcloth.com and I will try to put in my opinion, which she always knocks down. I mean, it's not like I deserve it, sometimes I just pull things out to keep conversation. Things like "That would look great on Jenny Lewis", in which she educates me by saying "No, Jenny Lewis is a rockstar, this is too drab for her".

Well, now you're about to get educated.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


When I talk about wearing this coat, since I live in North Dakota, I am speaking in very futuristic terms, as it is very cold here. However, I think it is the happy medium of coats—it isn’t ugly and puffy like so many coats I see, especially in this area, but it isn’t totally sleek and impractical or drab either. I think it looks regal and professional, yet also stylish and fun. Here are some suggestions as to what to do with this coat:

Date – I think this coat could be worn on a date, particularly if the date is going to take place outside in the spring or the autumn at any point. I suggest a walk in the park with someone who isn’t on particularly passionate or serious terms yet; I’d go so far as to say that this is a good choice for a date with that coworker you’re not supposed to be dating. ;) My reasoning is that it’s not particularly flirty or bright, but it makes a strong statement that you’re not frumpy and boring. I’d wear it with something comfortable, but not something casual. What I mean by this is, don’t just throw on a t-shirt and some jeans and your gross flip flops from Old Navy that cost you $2. Wear it with black pants (skinny jeans would be hot, but don’t try too hard if you’re not into them) and your favorite kitten heels.

Hanging out –When you’re with a group of friends, you can wear this coat just about anywhere you go with them, but I’d suggest wearing it when you have a fun time in the early evening to attend. I guarantee that everyone will think it is adorable, but the early evening is the best time because when you’re having fun at night, nobody really cares about your coat if you get my drift. Wear it earlier than that and it’s probably almost too cute for your friends. In this situation, I would wear it with a cute romper, provided that you have the legs for a romper. If you don’t have the legs for a romper, I’d try the same approach that I used for the date section, although instead of kitten heels you could probably wear sandals.

Work – The workplace is oftentimes a nightmare as to dressing creatively, but this coat would be a useful tool at work if you have to go about often. Professional and classy, it would make a very strong impression on clients who would happen to see you in it. Of course, most people never have to wear coats when they work, but if you do, this would be a good one. I’d dress it conservatively this time, with a skirt that comes around ¾ of the way down the thighs (a pencil skirt with a blouse tucked in would be awesome if you have the right kind of figure), tights in a power color besides black (the general consensus is that power colors are dark shades of blue, green, red, and brown), and pumps.

By yourself – When you’re alone, you could be going anywhere. However, I envision this coat, again, on a walk. If you dress casually when you walk over to the bookstore to pick up a copy of Les Misérables, then I’d wear it with your favorite jeans and a pair of sneakers. I’d probably choose my black Converse for mine. If you dress to impress at the bookstore (it sounds silly, but it isn’t—there are many cute boys to be found at Barnes & Noble!), then I’d wear it with sunny yellow tights, a basic and demure dress, and cute black shoes. If you simply like to feel adorable, then go crazy when you pick out a miniskirt. The rest is up to you in that case, because an adorable miniskirt will work with and above anything. J

This coat can be found at http://www.modcloth.com/store/ModCloth/Womens/Outerwear/Resistance+Fighter+Coat. BB Dakota never ceases to amaze me, and if you have any burning questions for me, you can contact me at enterthematrix713@hotmail.com any time you wish!

No comments:

Post a Comment