Friday, March 5, 2010

DIY: I Cut Your Shirt Up And Made It Mine

I was inspired to start working on fixing up my own clothes when I started wearing my favorite koala shirt, 40 pounds lighter that I used to be. I bought it at a thrift store and it's made of this great fabric, and it has the cutest logo on it. I used to be able to make it "dumpy cute" before, but now, it's just WAY too big for me. I can only wear it as a night shirt, but I really want to wear it out in public. So, I decided it was time to do t-shirt surgery.

It's been a while since I've sewn. The last time I did it, I made a crooked bathing suit out of t-shirts.

Luckily, I found one of my ex's shirts in my clothes that I could practice on. So I cut it the fuck up.

I wanted to make it look like this shirt from ModCloth.


So I used this tutorial and my mom's expertise. To give the curve of the waist, we just pinned it at a curve. I decided not to make black sleeves since I thought it would look wrong. For the collar, we pinned it about 3 inches down from the original collar and hemmed it. And we just cut the corners off the bottom and hemmed that.

BEFORE

AFTER



I'm not a fan of the deep, trashy neckline, so next time, I will make it a little bit shallower, but I love the long sleeves. I need more large shirts!!!

3 comments: